Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stuff That Makes Me Mad

I've been going through the house the last couple of days, trying to see what I can find to put in our second yard sale. With all the donations, it has the potential to be bigger than the first, and I really want to, you know, make it all that it can be.

But I'm afraid I'm being taught a lesson in this.
And I really don't like that. It goes against my very nature as a human being.
I don't know about you but I really
really
like my stuff.

My books
My clothes
My DVDs
My trinkets
My cooking things ( and really, who am I kidding?)
My sewing stuff
My decorations

Thats the good and the bad of being an American I suppose.

So.Much.Stuff.

Just last week I was walking through the house and it felt like I could hardly breathe for all the clutter, but when I was ready to find things to get rid of, there wasn't a single thing that came to mind. I wanted it all.
Isn't that sad?
I've been praying about that. You know, trying to work through my attachment issues...and of course, God showed up.
I read this post tonight.
Maybe you don't like links. You won't like this one either. I hated it, because it made me feel like a whiny, petty, spoiled American brat.

Read it.
I dare you.
And then tell me if I'm wrong for thinking that Americans are the most selfish people on the planet.
Because I don't think I am wrong. I am exhibit A on that one.

I get cranky when the air conditioning isn't as cool as I think it should be.
I get a little annoyed when they get my order wrong at the drive-thru.
I don't like generic chocolate.

I mean, really.
I feel sick just writing that little paragraph up there.
And there is no one to blame but myself. I can choose to be different. You can choose to be different. We are a nation blessed by God and yet we pervert those blessings to serve ourselves instead of others. When Jesus said "Love your neighbor as yourself," I doubt he was talking about just the person next door.

And I'm sorry if this is bumming you out. It's a real downer for me too. But someone needs to be talking about it, so why not?
Plus I'm a little mad about it all so I need to vent somehow.

That is one of the great evidences of grace- to allow us to see our hearts for what they really are in comparison to the purity of Christ, to be able to hate the sin that hides in us, and want to be circumcised to the will of God.
If it weren't for grace, we wouldn't know what sin was.
If it weren't for suffering, we wouldn't know how great the Savior is to save from it.

Jesus talked to someone about this once, who (besides being male) was pretty much just like me.

"..What do I still lack?"
Jesus answered,"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.Then come, follow me. "
When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth."
Matthew 19:20-22

Why was he sad?
Because he liked his stuff.
And by the way, did you know that Americans in whole are wealthier than 75% of the worlds population?
So I think we can all relate.

The Bible makes it clear that as Christians, it is our job to help the poor, the orphan, the widow, the children,the sick, the least of these.

But we turn it into-

"The Bible makes it clear that as Christians, it is our job to help the poor, the orphan, the widow, the children, the sick, the least of these?"

We spend more time complaining about our lack of comfort than looking at actual need right in front of our eyes.

And if you aren't a Christian, well then, I don't know. I guess you don't really have an excuse either. Sorry.




And for the record, if you didn't follow the link up there, these people aren't just here to find things to sell. They do that. But they are here because
They
Live
Here.

They live at the dump. In the dump. It's where the outcasts in Ethiopia live.
The poor, the orphans, the widows, the children, the sick, the least of these.

And if you are wondering what is the point of this post? Am I trying to guilt you into supporting our adoption?
Absolutely not, and I sure hope it doesn't come off like that.

I don't know what the point is really, I just know that I'm tired of pretending this stuff doesn't exist. I'm tired of living the American Dream for the glory of Myself. And if I'm going down, if I'm going to die to the American dream, then for goodness sake I'm going to try to bring someone else down with me.

And I don't even know a good ending for this post...

*Just coming back to add that I just read that 130,000 people live in Korah, which is the name of the dump, which is an actual district in Ethiopia.
Amazing...

No comments:

Post a Comment