Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy Birthday Becky!

An Ode to Becky:
Twenty -six years: Wow, you are old.
I bet you remember when slaves were sold.
Just kidding just kidding, don't get upset,
It's your birthday and rememberence of the harsh racial injustices of our fore-fathers towards those less fortunate are not what I meant.
So relax.
Twenty-six years you've been my friend
and the sharer of my DNA
Twenty-six years of secrets and late night talks and me stealing your clothes when you were away (O memories...)
I've always admired you, and looked up(literally) to you
even when you were mean and called me names
which you occasionally did do.
And that one time you punched me in the stomach
when i was only six-
I shall nix it from my memory as a present to you:
nix nix nix nix.
You were always the brave one out of us two
speed limits and road rage(on your part) were nothing to you.
You sung in your sleep, a country "lullaby"
until I called mom and dad upstairs to make you stop; you woke up and almost cried
( it wasn't your fault- you were just grumpy)
I see alot of you in Charlotte, my daughter-
your temper and greenish eyes just for starters.
It's like having my own pint-sized Becky
Everyday I think to myself-I'm so lucky!
I don't know what I did to deserve such a treatie
as a 16-year old you in my 2 year old sweetie.
But nevertheless, I still love you and so,
here's a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and just so you know,
It's all in jest the things that I said, because I know you can take it-
you have a hard head.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I do not remember punching you in the stomach! I guess that was like 21 years ago (I must have been 4 or 5, people). And, for the record,(Mom and Dad), I drive no more than 5 miles over the speed limit!
    Thank you for poem, Jessie my love. I will start working on yours now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling daughters, I love you so!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete