Monday, March 8, 2010

A Couple of New Things Around Here

1. We put Charlotte in her big girl bed last night for the first time. She was very excited, and only got up 5 times before going to sleep.
This is her when I first put it up last night:

Ethan had woken up early this morning to go to the bathroom, and I could hear them both go in there. Then Ethan said very gently,"Ok Charlotte, now let's go back in our room." What a good big brother!

I was pretending to still be asleep at the time, but then I snuck in there to see what they were up to.

2.We started doing school today.(For real this time) So what I did last week was to write out the alphabet and then pick a theme for each letter that would last us through a week. They all are something from the Bible, and this week is A- Adam.
Ethan's memory verse this week is Genesis 2:7 "The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground." He had to glue on the "dust" and then he could position the body parts how he wanted, as long as he put them in the right order. The top one is by Charlotte.
Then we looked at seeds and "planted" them on the paper, talking about the differences in how they looked and felt. I should have thought about this sooner and got different kinds of veggies, but this was all I had and I think it turned out ok. Charlotte liked helping with this alot.
This was a fun idea I saw online. It's called Muffin Tin Monday, and as you can probably tell, I was a rebel and came up with this instead. Actually, I couldn't find any small muffin pans. Again- thinking on the fly. It's how I roll.
So the basic concept is that on Monday you use this to introduce a new theme and fill all the spaces in the muffin tin with correlating foods.
The kids were incredibly messy after the dirt cups, but they actually ate everything and wanted more.
All our homeschool posts will go on here separately- probably on the bottom of the page, so you can see what we are learning. Hope you enjoy them!

2 comments:

  1. My sweet Charlotte and handsome Ethan,

    I am so happy about your new bed and am very proud of you, Ethan, for helping Charlotte get used to her bed!

    Love, Nomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I love it!! Sarah is doing school too... sounds so, so fun! You will be so glad... your kids will be so... established. I love it.

    If you want a fun and easy activity, here is a link to a simple kite making method.
    http://www.molokai.com/kites/20kidskites.html

    We made them at the shelter for family night. It was so fun!

    ReplyDelete