Thursday, October 15, 2009

Is There a Full Moon Out or is it Just Me?

I mean really.

{----- See this? This was the bane of my existence this morning.

A Harmless apple, you say?
Ha! That is what it wants you to think. That is the lie it would have you believe since the dawn of...time. Well, since the Garden anyway. You know what I mean.

"Oh, Adam, look, what a pretty little apple. Let's just have a closer look-see. Oh my how sweet it smells. Let's just take one...little....NOOOOOO!"

Temptation.

That's what it really is. And then its all a big mess, and I'm not talking applesauce.

I'm talking a big mess of tiny apple peelings dug out with tiny fingernails and strewn all over my house this morning. I'm talking perfectly good sweet and beautiful apples in my trash for no apparent reason, just because said tiny-apple-peeler felt like doing it.

And I was going to make something yummy from them too. I don't know what. But I would have thought of something soon enough. And it would have been good.

And speaking of bad apples...
How do kids know how to lie?

When I confronted Ethan about The Incident this morning, our conversation went like this:
Me: "What is the WORLD is all over your floor?"
Ethan: " Um, I don't know."
Me: "You don't know?"
Ethan: "I think it's apples."
Me: "Who put the apples there?"
Ethan:" Um, I don't know. I think Charlotte did it."
(Let me just pause to mention that Charlotte was asleep in her crib, and has not yet mastered climbing out of bed . Yet.)
Me: "I think you did it. Why did you do it?"
Ethan: "I didn't know I was doing it."

And it went on from there, but you get the picture.

How do they figure out, even before they can talk in complete sentences, how to lie? Because believe me, this is not the first time.

So I looked it up. Not because I'm a nerd (beside the point..) but because I thought God would know. And guess what?

"Aha, Eureka!" I actually shouted this. (In my head, because it's naptime.)

"Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies." Psalm 58:3 for those of you who will look it up. You know who you are.

Not that I think my kid is wicked, but he is a sinner, just like me. Just like you. Sorry- God said it not me. And that's why we need a Savior- to save us from ourselves, from our sins. From our sin nature, which is always and forever leading us towards doom and away from the promises and hope of God. Because without Jesus, we would have no hope. We would all be mired in our sins, whatever they may be, and we would never know the love and peace that He offers us, for free no less. And we would never get to Heaven. Which I hear is pretty AWE-some.
I'm so glad I have a Savior. I'll just say that right now.

So even my sweet little babies have a sin nature. Mostly, though, you couldn't tell just by looking at them. I think they get it from their father.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that Jessie. Love ya, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a parent wakes you up to this fact big time...they don't need to be taught to be bad...that comes naturally...they have to be taught to be good and live by His standards. PS: My children get it from me :-)

    ReplyDelete