Friday, February 4, 2011



I went out this morning to warm up the car for a much needed trip to play with cousins.Well, for the kids to play. I went along to visit with the grown-ups of course.

I was struck by how bright the snow was. Blinding, actually, as I could barely open my eyes.
Everywhere I looked, there it was, covering all the dull,dead winter grass and hiding the toys and concrete.

It was stunningly beautiful, yet I could hardly peel my eyelids open and enjoy it without an instant headache.
I'm sure I was very attractive to the neighbors.
But at the same time I was reminded about something that just blows me away.

The bible says that in Heaven, it is just as bright.

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. " Rev 21:23

Jesus is the lamp,
as in
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and light for my path." Psalm 119:105


And Heaven is just as bright and blinding as my yard this morning, and maybe more so.

But the difference is, that here, as mortal beings, it is too much for us to see the greatest light source we know reflecting off the snow. It hurts our eyes, makes us close them against the spectacular beauty of it.

But in heaven, with the Light of the World as our lamp,
it will be our pleasure to open our eyes wide and bathe in the glow.
There is no darkness there, for the Lamp never fails, never goes out, never tires, never leaves.
Never.
That's a long time.

The snow will melt, the night will come, and for now, "He has made his light shine in our hearts" until the day when the night will not creep in, and when the brightness will not fade; when we will need no reminders of the glory of God because we will see it with our own open eyes.




1 comment: